Social Media Charlotte held a virtual event this past week featuring hype man, influencer, and TikTok
guru, Aaron Dodge. Dodge is the Director of Relationships at The Littlefield Company, enjoys emceeing for the Charlotte Checkers, and shared his love for everything social media. While sipping our morning coffee, we learned tips and tricks and how Dodge made his viral debut during quarantine.
Here’s a quick recap of what we learned:
Dodge found his love for TikTok a few months before quarantine. He is a creator, loves to dance, make people laugh and said, “I really love what TikTok can do for brands and what social media can do for you personally. One hundred percent TikTok brought back my creative brain and has given me more creative ideas to put funny content into the atmosphere”.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is described as the app for creators. ByteDance Box bought Musical.ly in 2017and made it TikTok. The app is used to create short-form music, lip-sync, dance, comedy skits, and talent videos of 15 to 60 secs. Now, there are over 500 million users worldwide.
TikTok’s Big Break
TikTok experienced a substantial boost during the coronavirus pandemic. Prior to COVID, parents were usually busy carpooling their kids around town, fitness coaches were at the gym, college students were studying in their dorms, and corporate employees were working diligently 9-to-5 in the office. Now, people find themselves with more time on their hands and a need for more positive content surrounding them. COVID had a massive play on the growth of TikTok - Between January-April 2020, the share of Tik Tok users ages 25 to 34-year-olds rose from 22.4% to 27.4%, and the 35-44 demographic grew from 13.9% to 17.1%. During the same period, users ages 18-24 fell from 41.1% in January to 35.3% in April. TikTok is aging up!
TIPS & TRICKS
▪ TikTok’s algorithm will serve you what you like with dancing, painting, comedy skits, tarot card readers, the #fyp (for you page) is filled with content you want and like. The algorithm is fantastic!
▪ Connect your Instagram to TikTok in the “Edit Profile” option of TikTok. If you have built-up a social media following on Instagram, make sure your account is linked to TikTok; this will allow viewers to connect with you and learn more about your brand.
▪ The Share button is a great feature, enabling you to send videos to your friends and family via text message, messenger, Instagram, Snapchat, or by copying the link.
▪ Use hashtags in your post to reach a broader audience.
▪ Sounds drive everything on the app. If you are going to grow your audience, the best way to do so is to use sounds from somebody else who performs well or trending videos with the latest popular TikTok sounds. Note: Copywritten branded content is not allowed on TikTok. Be careful with music, and avoid being flagged for audio.
Are you interested in learning more from the TikTok guru himself? Head over to @aaron_dodge on Instagram and TikTok and give him a follow!
© Copyright 2019 SMCLT